Alright, so I shall explain this to the best of my abilities. But it is a fantasy concept, so you just have to go along with it.
- 3x08 Simon goes back in time
- Arrives is 1x06
- Simon does everything he knows he is supposed to do, going from the knowledge he has from the future
- Which also ensures that is it done in the past
- He arranges events (ie the peanut scene in 2x03) so that he is able to manipulate time a bit, arrange it how he needs it to happen
- Simon knows how everything should happen because of the giant photo wall he sees in the future (think 2x07)
- He meets Alisha (2x03), and she falls in love with him.
- His power only allows for a one way trip, so he must die (2x04). Or else Alisha will never fall in love him him as he was in series 2. And also so that he returns to the past in the future.
- If Simon doesn’t die, then Alisha will never fall in love with series 2 Simon.
- So after Simon’s death in 2x04, Simon and Alisha go along not really understanding that they are in a time loop.
- Until 3x08, where Alisha dies. And when she dies, it all clicks into place for Simon.
- He realizes that he goes back not to save Alisha, but to be with her, and to die as well.
- So in 3x08, the misfits plot returns back to 1x06, and we can watch Simon’s journey from there.
So, if you were trying to track Simon’s character arc, it would be circular as opposed to linear like most shows. See? He is moving backwards, to allow for time to proceed as he has already arranged it to proceed. He can’t tell her what will happen in the future, about her death, because then she wouldn’t die, and he wouldn’t go back in time, and she wouldn’t fall in love with him to begin with. Am I making any sense at all? It’s kind of a time paradox, where he is eternally going back to be with Alisha and all of that.